Diarra Pont

Diarra Pont
Diarra Pont: My village in southeastern Senegal, 75km west of Kedougou.
"Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. There will be no salary and allowances will be at a level sufficient only to maintain health and meet basic needs. Men and women will be expected to work and live alongside the nationals of the country in which they are stationed—doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the same language.

But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying. For every young American who participates in the Peace Corps—who works in a foreign land—will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of freedom and a condition of peace."

-John F. Kennedy

Monday, August 29, 2011

Leaving Seattle

On Saturday, I was conscientious of the news regarding hurricane Irene since flights were cancelled in DC that day due to the airport closure. After running errands in the morning with my mom to gather last minute items (i.e. bug tent that comes highly recommended by current volunteers, recent pictures, bed sheets, etc), I finally actually packed (my apologies to people if I intended to see you and didn’t!). The piles around my room have been slowly growing over the past month, particularly in the last week since I’ve (finally) been home! It was interesting because for once, I was packing with more of a weight restriction rather than a size restriction. I wasn’t going to be backpacking so larger bags than I would normally travel with would be acceptable; it’s weird that I am temporarily moving rather than just travelling. Therefore, much of my packing are “living” sorts of things, rather than clothes and toiletries (although I do have quite a stockpile of sunscreen, toothpaste, and shampoo). That evening my parents and younger brother went out to dinner (Mexican since it tends to be a food I miss and is pretty irreplaceable abroad) and drove around, chatted. It was wonderful! Fortunately the following morning, getting to the airport was a breeze thanks to my parents. I did have to reorganize a bit at the counter for my checked bags, but it was quick since I only packed the day before. I ended up bringing my: 90L duffle bag, a large rolling duffle (checked) and a backpack and purse (carry-ons). I feel almost “over packed,” but I won’t know until I get there since I am not quite sure how I will be living and working on a day to day basis, and consequently, what I will be using-- I’ll find out! After a tearful goodbye, I went through security and immediately found Katie, another PCV flying out of Seattle. We chatted before boarding and I am really looking forward to meeting everyone else! On the plane, I finally had time to read the mandatory agroforestry articles. Further, I finally looked over my Wolof language learning materials. I am going to be consumed with this language soon! The flight had a bit of turbulence halfway through but overall was quite easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment