Diarra Pont

Diarra Pont
Diarra Pont: My village in southeastern Senegal, 75km west of Kedougou.
"Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. There will be no salary and allowances will be at a level sufficient only to maintain health and meet basic needs. Men and women will be expected to work and live alongside the nationals of the country in which they are stationed—doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the same language.

But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying. For every young American who participates in the Peace Corps—who works in a foreign land—will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of freedom and a condition of peace."

-John F. Kennedy

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Aspiration Statement

So here is a document that I submitted to the Peace Corps for the people in Senegal when I was invited for service. I figured it may be interesting to someone!

A. There are a number of professional attributes I plan to use during my service in the Peace Corps the first of which is good communication skills. I believe being able to listen and ask questions is essential to a better understanding by both parties. Although this will be difficult due to the language difference at first, I will strive to become immerse myself as proficiently as possible. I also strongly believe in the importance of patience and flexibility and consistently make an effort to practice these traits. Most importantly, I aspire to make a difference, however wideranging, in the lives of particular individuals, although hopefully a community. I studied development throughout college and understand, to a certain extent, the, often, idealistic aspirations of economic development and its subsequent shortcomings; therefore, I hope to create a realistic and attainable goal for the time while I am in Senegal.

B. In order to effectively work with host country partners to meet expressed needs, I intend to do a lot of listening in the beginning stages. I am an outsider coming in to see what the needs of the people are and do not believe I am in a position to tell people what they want or need, although I am in one to help once I know where help is needed.

C. Adapting to a new culture will differ for everyone depending on one’s own previous exposure and experiences. For me, I am fortunate to have immersed myself in a culture before in rural India, and found that dressing similarly is a great first step. I know that I will be conspicuous regardless, but at least it is beginning to breaking down barriers and differences.

D. I expect pre-service training to be an intensive but absolutely necessary component of volunteer service in order to gain specific skills and knowledge about what I am expected to do in the upcoming years. In particular, I look forward to the technical knowledge and skills that I am expected to teach in the future as well as strategies that will be introduced.

E. When my service ends, I know that it will be an incredibly impactful experience. I have never done anything quite like this and cannot anticipate how it will change me so I am hesitant to make aspirations as I am a person committed to following through on things. Nevertheless, I am interested in going to graduate school, possibly in public policy, although this academic study area may change. I also love the idea of working for a philanthropic organization such as the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation or a smaller one as well. After spending so much time away from friends and family I expect to spend the first few months with people I kept in touch with although likely were not able to see during my service.

No comments:

Post a Comment