Diarra Pont

Diarra Pont
Diarra Pont: My village in southeastern Senegal, 75km west of Kedougou.
"Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. There will be no salary and allowances will be at a level sufficient only to maintain health and meet basic needs. Men and women will be expected to work and live alongside the nationals of the country in which they are stationed—doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the same language.

But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying. For every young American who participates in the Peace Corps—who works in a foreign land—will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of freedom and a condition of peace."

-John F. Kennedy

Monday, April 1, 2013

Guinea, Christmas & New Years!


So for the holidays, Whitney, Will & I decided to go to Guinea, meet up with a few volunteers there and climb Mt. Nimba, a peak in southern Guinea bordering Ivory Coast and Liberia. It is considered a UNESCO World Heritage site and the highest peak in the area at 1,790m (5,748ft). (more information here). Our trip was initially going to be just under two weeks, but Whitney and I decided to stay longer to visit volunteers and were there for three weeks. The trip was great, although incredibly difficult at times, and I have many horror travel stories as a result (broken cars, sleeping on the sides of roads, unable to get money from banks, etc). I am glad I went, but can't say I am anxious to go back, although I wouldn't not go there in the future. The roads and cars are terrible, vehicles are constantly overpacked with people and goods, and banks are unreliable. Nevertheless, I saw some beautiful areas of West Africa! It was great to visit the area where the language I learned for Peace Corps Pula Fuuta, is a majority language across the country. Here is a quick photo summary of our journey.

Map of my route

9 person station wagon (typical transport). Not including people who sit on top of the car, on top of luggage.

Car in the river blocking the ferry. We slept in the car that night.

Passing a town in the Fuuta

Meeting up with volunteers in Mamou to meet up with more people in Nzerekoure

We spent a lot of time in the car...

Heading south

Broken car. They typically fixed it with just water and a wrench. How? Don't ask questions.

Merry Christmas! We had a fancy chicken dinner and lots of palm wine.

Group to hike!

Whitney, myself, and Will.

I hiked the mountain in my trusty Chaco flip flops

View from the hike

Beautiful vine bridge in the forest region

Natural bridge

New Years pool party

Soccer

New Years outfits!

SO MUCH MONEY. Or at least it looks like it. People go to the bank with backpacks for withdrawals. Ohhhh inflation...

Diankana

Sunset in the Haut region

KanKan market area

Random woman's house we waited at as a break from the garage waiting for a car to fill up.

Little bouldering

Hiking in Doucki

Lodging in Doucki

Waterfall in Doucki

Fuuta Jallon scenery on the way back to Senegal.

So that's that!

4 comments:

  1. You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
    cash for cars brisbane
    cash for cars gympie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
    Thank you and good luck.
    cash for cars melbourne
    cash for cars sydney

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
    cash for cars gold coast
    cash for cars caboolture

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I read your posts daily I really like it the choice of words is amazing thank you so much for this. Scraper cars removal, unwanted cars or any other service you want to must contact us we will serve you professionally just sell your dumb cars and earn money wreckers in brisbane

    ReplyDelete