Diarra Pont

Diarra Pont
Diarra Pont: My village in southeastern Senegal, 75km west of Kedougou.
"Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. There will be no salary and allowances will be at a level sufficient only to maintain health and meet basic needs. Men and women will be expected to work and live alongside the nationals of the country in which they are stationed—doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the same language.

But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying. For every young American who participates in the Peace Corps—who works in a foreign land—will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of freedom and a condition of peace."

-John F. Kennedy

Thursday, January 19, 2012

SeneGAD, All Vol, WAIST & Prom

SeneGAD is a sector of PC Senegal that focuses on gender and development. The day before the all volunteer conference (where Peace Corps volunteers across Senegal, Mali, and Cape Verde come to share best practices) focused solely on SeneGAD activities. Unfortunately, I was ill and spent the day in bed. However, the following days I was able to attend presentations on school gardens, medicinal plants, the importance of developing integrated trainings, moringa, and went to a panel on diversity. During this time there were also SeneGAD elections where I was able to vote for new officers (country coordinator activities, fundraising, and communication) since I am now a regional representative for Kedougou (which entails coming to Thies more often to attend meetings).

As soon as "all-vol" ended, I took a PC bus to the offices in Dakar and headed to a nearby cafe with Ash (my homestay room mate and girl from my "stage") to enjoy mango sorbet (the only place I have found so far in this country )! We were placed with the new country director of USAID and his wife in the Almadies neighborhood. We went to the house where we were welcomed into the guest wing with our own bedrooms and bathrooms. It was wonderful, although a touch of western life too soon! They had just gotten back from America and had the kitchen stocked with American products-- we even had lamb from Costco one night. The house is across the street from a private beach on the Atlantic Ocean with gated houses on either side, one of which is owned by the presidental nominee and famous Senegalese singer Youssou N'Dour. It was great.

W.A.I.S.T. is an acronym for West Africa Invitational Softball Tournament. The weekend was filled with softball games during the day (where I soley watched in my leg warmers and knock-off Oakland jersey since I continue to have a fear of getting hit in the head with the ball, or just hit in general) and a few organized parties in the evenings, the first of which was Prom. The dance was held at the Marine's house and two gentlemen from each region were auctioned off along with a dinner certificate to raise money SeneGAD. I got to wear my great 90's themed dress I had made while I was in Kolda for Christmas (bright, gaudy, floral print, sweetheart top, with a large bow at the waistline). The following night, volunteers rented out the Oceanium and had a dance there as well.

I, along with a dozen other volunteers from Kedougou, took the overnight bus on Tuesday from Dakar and arrived back in our region just after 9 the next morning (I have been wondering why my back was sore, and I realized it was from the terribly uncomfortable attempt at sleeping during this ride). I intended to go back to site although had a miscommunication with other volunteers going towards my area and ended up not getting a seat in a car, and also had to repair my bike and it was too hot and late in the day to bike (if I wanted to make it before sunset). However, I made the best of the little daylight I had left, went to the tailor to drop off material for a skirt, got some "bohei radi," essentially a baobob fruit popsicle in a plastic bag, and watched movies into the evening. The following day I worked on my presentations for my upcoming "in-service training," (IST) had some internet time, and did a Jillian Mitchell workout. Nevertheless, I am anxious to get back to site to see my village! I am really looking forward to it as well since my language teacher from pre-service training, Pape, came down with my assistance program director, Djitte, and volunteer assistant, Ariana. It will be great to have my counterpart, Amadou, meet them, and have villagers see them to further legitimize my presence in village. Furthermore, I am interested to see where our new volunteer, Ashleigh (evacuated from Cameroon, and also a volunteer's long term girlfriend), will be placed because she will now be my closest neighbor!

No comments:

Post a Comment