Diarra Pont

Diarra Pont
Diarra Pont: My village in southeastern Senegal, 75km west of Kedougou.
"Life in the Peace Corps will not be easy. There will be no salary and allowances will be at a level sufficient only to maintain health and meet basic needs. Men and women will be expected to work and live alongside the nationals of the country in which they are stationed—doing the same work, eating the same food, talking the same language.

But if the life will not be easy, it will be rich and satisfying. For every young American who participates in the Peace Corps—who works in a foreign land—will know that he or she is sharing in the great common task of bringing to man that decent way of life which is the foundation of freedom and a condition of peace."

-John F. Kennedy

Friday, December 23, 2011

Things that are surpringly acceptable

I find that when I am abroad things, I would like to think, that I would never do in America become acceptable, if not routine. For instance, while trekking in Nepal, I discovered how well ketchup went with fried rice or even chow mein (I did not come up with this on my own).

Here in Senegal are a few things that I somehow deem acceptable as well… Not cooking for myself (the majority of the time e.g. only cooking for myself when “away” from home); instant coffee (although this isn’t a new phenomenon, it is something I only subject myself to when it is the only coffee available at boutiques); excessive sugar (in tea, coffee, or by consuming soda or snacking on sugarcane); massive amounts of carbs and fried things; fried spaghetti with onions and potato; bean sandwich (beans with varying/unknown spices) on a baguette, occasionally with spaghetti and onion (if I’m feeling adventurous; fried canned meat (which I tried for the first time in country) with onion on a baguette; riding a bike that treacherous terrain without fully functioning gears or brakes; waiting for a shopowner to be done praying to buy something

Also it is the lifestyle nuances such as: finding frogs, unknown insects, mice, or bats in one’s hut; going at minimum 3km to get cell phone service, and even farther for electricity to charge one’s phone; on that note, going 75km for internet; being woken by chickens at who knows what hours of the night; having goats, chickens, sheep, and cats wander around the common living area, and consequently doing their business everywhere; doing laundry by hand/in the river by slamming clothes against rocks; having to wait unknown amounts of time to get a car somewhere; needing to sweep one’s room everyday to clear it of feathers, dust, dirt, unknown defecation, etc;

Things that are great though are: the weekly market near my village; visiting other volunteers; the sunset over the grass roofs of huts; listening to the BBC focus on Africa and world headlines at the end of the day; an amazing night sky; having a time during the day when you are not expected to do anything (after lunch during the hottest part of the day… I typically read or study since I am not a “napper”); the simplicity of living; having meals prepared for you so you can go on a run in the morning and come back to a hot breakfast; feeling deeply appreciated; having opportunities to collaborate work in nearby villages; being recognized and known throughout a few village radius; finding new bush paths that lead to somewhere useful; making my hut a home; tailors (I wish I had better accessibility/an excuse to use them!); setting up my hammock next to the river to read; studying or listening to the BBC by candlelight in my hut to be joined by my host mom and little sisters for dinner; bonfires in the "cold" (65 degree) evenings.

No comments:

Post a Comment